

Premier League
Mohamed Salah Breaks Another Liverpool Record, Surpassing Luis Suárez
Mohamed Salah made headlines by scoring the opening goal against Aston Villa, thereby setting a remarkable new club record.
With this goal, the Liverpool forward tallied his 15th away goal in a single Premier League campaign, surpassing the previous record of 14 goals set by Luis Suarez during the unforgettable 2013-14 season.
Salah’s shot was the first on target in the game, breaking the deadlock just before the half-hour mark. When Andres Garcia gifted the ball to Diogo Jota, the Portugal striker unselfishly squared for Salah to put into an unguarded goal.
Before half-time, Youri Tielemans equalized for the hosts, and shortly after, Ollie Watkins put the Midlands side ahead.
However, just a few minutes into the second half, Trent Alexander-Arnold restored parity, making it 2-2.
If Liverpool wins against Aston Villa, it will move 10 points ahead of Arsenal ahead of the Gunners taking on West Ham United this weekend. The Reds then travel to Manchester City on Sunday.
Salah, who is rapidly approaching the impressive 30-goal mark for this season, currently finds himself in a contract situation that concludes at the end of the campaign.
However, last month, Arne Slot expressed a strong desire to retain Salah, sharing optimism that a contract extension can be negotiated soon.
“Everybody wants him, including us,” Slot said in January. “We want him to extend, of course, as well. That is clear. I’m not surprised that Saudis want him.
“But I wouldn’t be surprised if other countries want him as well. He’s old enough and wise enough and has done so many smart things in his career that he will make the right decision for himself and, hopefully, for us as well.”
Earlier this week, Jamie Carragher weighed in on Salah’s future, discussing it alongside the situations of Virgil van Dijk and Trent Alexander-Arnold.
All three players face a crucial juncture, as they require new contracts before the summer to avoid leaving the club as free agents.
“I understand what they’ve done for the club but they’re still so good right now that I don’t think you can be offering them a year. It’d have to be two,” Carragher said on The Overlap, brought to you by Sky Bet.
“I’d be gutted if Liverpool didn’t sign them but I’d also be looking at them like, why haven’t you signed? The team is made for them, it is loved, where are they gonna go? Other clubs aren’t going to give them the money or give them long contracts, certainly in Europe.”